Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Thank You Is The Way To Live


The need to say “Please” when we ask people for favors, to say “I am sorry” when we do others wrong and to say “Thank You” when others render us kind actions out of goodwill are to me the most valuable lessons we have received in our early childhood. We may not be aware then but very young kids that we were, these lessons provided us an introduction to one of life’s most precious truths. As we learned to say “Please”, “I am sorry.” and “Thank you”, in our young minds, we were slowly being transported to the realizations that the world is not about “Me” nor “You” nor “Them” but about “Us”. We were beginning to learn that we could only live our lives with and not independent from others.


To say “Thank you” is to humbly acknowledge that we can not go on with life without having others see us through. But more than recognition of our need to have others fill in the holes in our lives, “Thank you” serves as a blue print on how our lives should be lived.


In the indigenous culture in which I was reared, we would not say “You are welcome.” as a way of retort when someone would offer his gratitude. Roughly translated in English, we would answer by saying, “Go live it in your life”.


“Thank you” is a way of life among my people. It would not have any meaning unless we let the good done for us and for which we were thankful, permeate our lives. We must not only act the “good” out so as to be better persons than we already are. We must also pass this “good” along. Viewed along this line, “Thank you” calls on us to be co-responsible in building a more humane world.


But it is so sad. An epitaph to “Thank you.” as a way of life may have long been written. Even the culture which had nurtured me and for which I had always been proud of is now dying if not already dead in the embrace of materialism. Everyone seems to be eager to don the cloak of the “Material Girl”. This world is fast becoming a “Me” world. The “You” and “Them” are now just simply chattels we could use or discard depending on whether we find them useful in propelling us to the heights of our material aspirations or what we believe to be successful life.


I know I would not be there to see it happen. I could only hope for everyone’s sake that a new age would dawn where once again “Thank you” is the way to live.


By Julehya

14 comments:

  1. I was probably raised a lot like you, Thank You, Please, Your Welcome, Ma'am, Sir where drilled into my head. Something for which I am grateful for. Nowadays, like you said, people have become so materialistic and self-centered and have forgotten common courtesy and gratitude. I have noticed that in my "home" country and also in Italy. Manners and humanity seem to be things of the past, which is so sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen.
    Common courtesy does not seem so common anymore.
    Several years ago, if we did not receive a Thank You note from a young relative after Christmas or a birthday - the next birthday or Christmas they would receive Thank You notes from us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto, Ann. I was raised to do the same. To see these courtesies tossed aside, is disheartening and frustrating. It doesn't seem to be the "in" thing to do anymore. Well, I have never been one to follow the crowd when it comes to things like this. So the niceties we used to extend to each other will remain a part of my life - even if I don't receive the same treatment in return.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Thank you for a sip of fresh air! ... your words deeply touched me.
    It was great to meet you. I am so happy for there still are people who know the value of thank you - the dawn will come

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such simple words and yet so often taken for granted. Thank you for the post; it serves as a gentle reminder for all of us. Just as Tomas said, it happy to know that there still are people who know the value of thank you - the dawn will come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was raised to be kind and courteous to others. My parents laid the foundation for appreciating everything you have and being thankful for the deeds of others. It seems that today's youth are very self-centered and seem to think that the have some "right" to have anything they want. It would be nice if parents would teach their children the value of Thank You, Please & You're Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you...
    its like ice touch our heart..
    so nice...
    nice article, wait your blogwalking to my blog..
    http://www.forextrainer.cn

    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. and thank you for posting this. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I think it's going to turn around. My generation, our generation of parent's today, seems to be acknowledging what change should occur. We saw the problem with the environment and went green, we saw the benefits of nursing and it's "back" (I know it never fully left, but it sure wasn't 'stylish' for a while there). I'm often told how polite my children are, and that is something I stress is my family. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, thank you for this post. It serves as a remainder to all of us.

    I am 21 years old male college student in Malaysia. I was raised by a family that valued the courtesy as a way of live. However, as I grew older, I noticed that most of my colleagues are not doing the same. In fact, their perspective for a man that practices common courtesy is that it will makes you less manly and uncool - which most of my friends at this age more concern about. Yeah, I know, that is nonsense and probably happen in only rare cases, but sadly, it does happen here.

    However, I am sure they will learn as they matured in time. Well, at least I hope so. I don't like the feeling of being the uncool guy most of the time. *Sigh*

    Have a nice day,

    Bluecrystaldude

    ReplyDelete
  11. I raised my children to use their manners, and how wonderful it was to get a phone call from my 6 year old grandbaby to say thank-you for a little bit of glass I had sent her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was my upbringing in Germany as well. My Foster Mom & Dad would have had my hide if I would not have used those simple courtesies. In turn I have raised my Children to use them still.
    An Elder is still automatically Sir or Ma'am unless I know them and have been told to address them otherwise.

    When we as an Earth Nation have lost Manners, we have lost the fundamentals of being in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post. I also believe it's so very important to say these things. We feel it's an important lesson to be learned by our daughter. She's getting pretty good at say Thank you and you're welcome and she's only 4. Thanks for sharing and stopping by little place on the web.

    ReplyDelete